[ITK-users] Getting info from a very big image file

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 11 22:44:45 EST 2017

Hello,

I am wanting to work with a 50 GB LSM file (3D).  The first step is to be able to get the image info: width, height and depth.  I have code that works on a small LSM file

    im_u16 = reader->GetOutput();
    width = im_u16->GetLargestPossibleRegion().GetSize()[0];
    height = im_u16->GetLargestPossibleRegion().GetSize()[1];
    depth = im_u16->GetLargestPossibleRegion().GetSize()[2];

but I see that to do this the whole image must be loaded into memory.  When I start the program running with the big file I can see that it is going to exceed the host machine's 32 GB.  Is there a way to get the image dimensions without loading the whole image?  What I am hoping to do is split the file into 2D TIFF files - is there any way to extract a 2D slice without reading the whole image?  Or will I be forced to run on a  machine with more than 50 GB of RAM?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best regards

Gib