[ITK-users] Recommended approach for cross-platform deploying ITK+Vtk+Qt5

Pablo Hernández pablo.hernandez.cerdan at outlook.com
Sun Jul 30 06:58:39 EDT 2017

Hi,
I wonder what is the recommended approach for deploying a cross-platform application involving ITK+Vtk+Qt nowadays with all the available tools: docker containers, travis-ci, appveyor, circle-ci etc.

Is it still recommended to create a SuperBuild with all your dependencies as ExternalProjects in CMake? How do you reduce the time it takes to build?
The build time for all my dependencies (Vtk (with qt5), ITK, boost) plus my small app is surpassing the 60min limit in both, AppVeyor and Travis-CI. To alleviate this, do you use docker?.

My main concern is Windows, I have seen that @thewtex and @jcfr have a repo with closs-platform buildings ( https://github.com/dockcross/dockcross ), there is a Windows64 there with Mingw that might help. I have no idea if I can generate windows binaries from AppVeyor using docker, or instead, I generate them using that docker image with Wine+MinGw in Travis-CI.

Instead of CPack from CMake I have been thinking to use windowsqtdeploy, linuxqtdeploy from Qt...

I have been looking to Slicer source code to see how they are doing it, and it seems super structured, but not 100% sure how they generate their nightly packages ( I guess it involves these docker images: https://github.com/thewtex/SlicerDocker, but also in Windows?)

Maybe this is the not best forum to ask, but if you have any recommendations for deploying a small GUI app based on ITK, I will be extremely grateful to hear them. Thanks!

Cheers,
Pablo