[ITK-users] Combining several segmenations

Felix Burk felix.burk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 06:58:40 EDT 2017

Hello,

I'm using ITKs ScalarChanAndVeseDenseLevelSetImageFilter to segment parts
of a medical image file series. The problem is that the resolution is
pretty low. So far its working well, but I'd like to have more accurate
results.

The images in the file series are similar, but change more after each time
step. Some segmentations work really well but others differ quite a bit
from the desired result.
My idea is to combine segmentations from different time steps, like the
current and previous one. I think this might lead to better results,
because the segmentations should be similar too.
I'm quite new to ITK and image analysis in general, maybe that's why I
couldn't find something useful for this kind of problem.

I already tried to compare them using SquaredDifferenceImageFilter and
SimilarityIndexImageFilter, but I don't know if the results are of any use.
Is there any way to combine segmentations from several time steps to obtain
better results for a single time step?

I implemented the algorithm as a Paraview Plugin, if that matters. I could
provide some Screenshots too if this might help.

Thanks,
Felix