[ITK-users] [ITK] auto keyword and New() smart pointer

Kiran Joshi kiran.j88 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 11:22:20 EDT 2017

Hi Brad,

Thanks for correcting me.

When I replace my AddImages() function with what's below, the memory for the
 *result* image still gets cleaned up automatically at the correct time.
Would you be able to give an example were the use of *auto* could lead to a
memory leak? Since I guess I'm still not understanding the problem fully.

Thanks,
Kiran

ImageType::Pointer AddImages(short a, short b) {
    auto im1 = CreateImage(a);
    auto im2 = CreateImage(b);

    AddFilterType::Pointer adder = AddFilterType::New();
    adder->SetInput1(im1);
    adder->SetInput2(im2);
    adder->Update();
   * auto result = adder->GetOutput();*

    AddFilterType::Pointer adder2 = AddFilterType::New();
    adder2->SetInput1(im1);
    adder2->SetInput2(result);
    adder2->Update();
    auto result2 = adder2->GetOutput();