[ITK-users] Using swig on external standalone libraries that use ITK

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Fri Oct 20 17:12:47 EDT 2017

Hi Nathan,

WrapITK has been integrated into ITKv4, and the infrastructure and
documentation on wrapping your own ITK code has greatly improved. See:

  https://blog.kitware.com/python-packages-for-itk-modules/
  https://itkpythonpackage.readthedocs.io/

For wrapping libraries that interact heavily with ITK types, this is preferred.

If this is not possible, then coercing both the library data
structures and ITK data structures into common Python data types is
another option. For example, itk.Index can be converted to a Python
list or tuple. itk.Image pixel buffers can be converted to NumPy
arrays. If this functionality is added to the library code, it serves
as a way to transmit data.

Hope this helps,
Matt