[ITK-users] Big tiff file

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Oct 21 00:08:19 EDT 2017

Hi,

I am joining a stack of 2D tiffs into a 3D tiff, and have run into a problem with big files.  When the uncompressed size of the 3D file is more than 2GB I get an error when I try to view it with Irfanview.  At first I thought maybe I needed to upgrade from ITK4.8.0, but after installing and using ITK4.12.2 I see that I have the same issue.  Irfanview says:

"Invalid or unsupported TIF file"

I now suspect that the problem is not ITK-related, rather it is a limitation of Irfanview.

I have two questions:

Is there a limit on the allowed size of a tiff file?

Is there another program (preferably free) that can open for viewing tiff files bigger than 2GB?

It is useful but not essential for me to be able to view these big 3D files.  I will use ITK functions to process the 3D files, and I'm assuming that any file that ITK can create it can also read.

Thanks

Gib