[ITK-users] ITK Noise removal filter on VTK file

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Mon Feb 12 07:27:32 EST 2018

Hi Majid,

For the best DICOM image compatibility, use itk::DCMTKImageIO:

  https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/blob/8a2a15f41218c925c0a89119e09419d48f83eb22/Modules/IO/DCMTK/test/itkDCMTKSeriesReadImageWrite.cxx

This also supports reading in the DICOM image orientation into the
itk::Image. This information is not retained in vtkImageData.

Writing the image to disk can be avoided with ITKVtkGlue:

  https://itk.org/ITKExamples/src/Bridge/VtkGlue/ConvertAnitkImageTovtkImageData/Documentation.html

but again, be aware of the loss of the Direction information.

Both ITK and VTK support image volumes written in MetaImage, NRRD, or
VTK Legacy file format.

A state-of-the-art edge preserving filter is the anisotropic diffusion
lattice basis reduction filter in ITK. For more information, see the
Insight Journal article:

  http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/953

and instructions on how to install the Python package or enable its
module in ITK's build here:

  https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKAnisotropicDiffusionLBR

Hope this helps,
Matt