meshing question

Alan Patterson alan.patterson at nexan.com
Fri Jun 25 04:43:35 EDT 1999

Hi All,
    I have created a small app that allows you to create geometry
scenes, i.e. you can create spheres, cubes, extrusions etc. I also allow
you to set the position, scale and orientation of the shape using the
vtkActor.

My problem is that I want to mesh these shapes onto an unstructured grid
(cubic mesh) for input to a finite-difference program. I know
vtkExtractGeometryFilter does something similar but uses implicit
functions. However, this isn't exactly what I want. 1) it can't mesh
arbitrary poly data (for example a byu file) and 2) it's meshing will be
slightly wrong (for me) because all cells have to be entirely inside the
shape and so will be smaller than expected.

I was thinking of examining the polydata directly and creating the mesh
from that. Does anybody have any ideas of how I can go about this?

Alan

p.s. if anyone is interested in such an app, especially the geomtery
creation I'll be glad to make it available.

--
Alan Patterson            Algorithm Software Engineer
Nexan Telemed Ltd.,       +44 1223 713500
Cambridge CB5 8RE.        alan.patterson at nexan.com