Proposals:Dropping Support for Visual Studio 6.0
From KitwarePublicJump to navigationJump to search
It has been suggested that ITK should drop support of the Visual Studio 6.0 compiler.
UPDATE: VS6 will be dropped for ITKv4.
Real world issues
Visual Studio 6 is the most recurrent compiler insight-developers have to cope with:
- Lack of support for template partial specialization
- The compiler is about 10 years old
- It is out the market (Microsoft doesn't sell it anymore)
Please add your opinions here:
In Favor of Dropping Support
- Hans Johnson: My vote has stayed the same for many years now. I think that the need to support partial specialization is critical for future of ITK. Dropping support for VS6 will allow us to move the toolkit forward.
- Alex. Gouaillard
- Gert Wollny (I filed the bug report)
- Brian Gee Chacko
- Mathieu Malaterre: ITK community should focus on writing algorithm, and not on supporting broken compiler (VS7.1, VS 2005 & VS 2008 are even free of charge).
- Tom Vercauteren
- Rashindra Manniesing
- David Witten
- Marcel Koek
- Marius Staring
- Stefan Klein
- Dženan Zukić
Against Dropping Support
- Bill Lorensen: Partial specialization can be implemented in Visual Studio 6; see itkImageTransformHelper.h
- Comment (Gert Wollny): No, the example shows function (template) overloading and not partial template specialization - compare e.g. D. Vandevoorde and N. M. Josuttis "C++ Templates" pp.179-204.