This wiki has been deprecated. You can find updated information from the main VTK website.
(If you agree with the following, vote for the improvements!!)
In my experience, the single most important factor that influences a users attitude about a software package is its ease of use. VTK provides a phenomenal collection of tools for scientific data processing and visualization. However, if a user has difficulty accessing these tools, their experience with, and therefore opinion of, the software will be less than satisfactory. Documentation is the key element which controls this difficulty level. I propose some improvements to the documentation system here.
- Add required libraries list to each class
- Clearly indicate default values
- Clearly explain all function parameters
- SetFudgeFactor should not be a function because the fudge factor is always computed in the BuildLocator or BuildLocatorFromPoints function
- GetMTime - says "Get the MTime". What is MTime? Modification time? Maybe "Get the time at which the object was last modified."
The SetTargetReduction function specifies how many triangles should reduced by specifying the percentage ([0,1]) of triangles to be removed. For example, if the mesh contains 100 triangles and SetTargetReduction(.90) is called, after the decimation there will be approximately 10 triangles - a 90% reduction.