VTK 5.4 Release Planning
From KitwarePublicJump to navigationJump to search
- Preparation email: January 19, 2008
- Create VTK-5-4 branch: beginning of February, 2009
- Release VTK 5.4.0: as soon after branching as practical according to the dashboards
What's New in VTK 5.4?
New features in VTK since the 5.2 release include:
- Geovis kit
- Tree ring / icicle tree views
- Updated Utilities: freetype (now at 2.3.7)
- More than XX new C++ classes.
- More than YY new C++ tests running on most dashboards
- API to vtkTreeMapView, vtkTreeMapLayout, and vtkTreeMapLayoutStrategy (new in VTK 5.2) have changed slightly as they have been integrated into a larger concept of "area views" (where elements are mapped to 2D areas on the screen). See Tree Area Views for a short description of the new class hierarchy.
- Some methods previously containing the term "Vertex" now contain the term "Area".
- For consistency with other algorithms, methods that specify the input or output arrays of an algorithm have been changed from "Set...Field" to "Set...ArrayName".
- The method SetBorderPercentage in vtkTreeMapView has been replaced with the more general SetShrinkPercentage in the new superclass vtkTreeAreaView.
- vtkSelection is no longer a self-referential data structure that is capable of arbitrary hierarchies. It instead contains a list of vtkSelectionNode objects, which contain the actual selected elements and metadata about each selection. See Flat vtkSelection for the differences.
Same as VTK 5.2: See this section in the Frequently asked questions (FAQ)