[ITK] SCIFIO throws exception

Michael Meuli michael.meuli at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 01:20:44 EDT 2014

Hi Mark

I've rebuilt and get the same error when trying to read the
single-channel.ome.tif dataset with my little program which is the
same whether JAVA_HOME is unset or set to e.g.
"/home/michael/Colocalization/ITK-4.5.1-build/lib/jre":

Problem encoutered while reading image file : single-channel.ome.tif

itk::ExceptionObject (0x8c280e0)
Location: "unknown"
File: /home/michael/Colocalization/ITK-4.5.1-build/Modules/Remote/SCIFIO/src/itkSCIFIOImageIO.cxx
Line: 180
exited abnormally. Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.IllegalStateException: ImageReader.getSeries: Current file
should not be null; call setId(String) first
at loci.formats.FormatTools.assertId(FormatTools.java:724)
at loci.formats.ImageReader.getReader(ImageReader.java:200)
at loci.formats.ImageReader.getSeries(ImageReader.java:441)
at loci.formats.ReaderWrapper.getSeries(ReaderWrapper.java:343)
at loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.executeCommand(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:116)
at loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.executeCommand(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:108)
at loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.waitForInput(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:83)
at loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.executeCommand(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:161)
at loci.scifio.itk.SCIFIOITKBridge.main(SCIFIOITKBridge.java:693)

Trying to read/write the single-channel.ome.tif dataset with the
itkSCIFIOImageIOTest utility I get the following error:

reader->GetUseStreaming(): 1
done checking streaming usage
ITK test driver caught an ITK exception:

itk::ExceptionObject (0x9faaf70)
Location: "unknown"
File: /home/michael/Colocalization/ITK-4.5.1-build/Modules/Remote/SCIFIO/src/itkSCIFIOImageIO.cxx
Line: 780

Trying to read/write a .jpg file to a .tif file with the
itkSCIFIOImageIOTest utility I don't really get an error but a black
picture:

reader->GetUseStreaming(): 1
done checking streaming usage
Notes:

Could I set some parameter using the itkSCIFIOImageIOTest utility?
Where would I find some information about this?

When I try to explicit instantiate an IO class like e.g.:
ImageIOType::Pointer scifioIO = ImageIOType::New();
writer->SetImageIO( scifioIO );

I get the following compile time error:
'SCIFIOImageIO' in namespace 'itk' does not name a type
   typedef itk::SCIFIOImageIO        ImageIOType

Will this be different in ITK 4.6.0? (as I can see it there in Doxygen
but not in ITK 4.5.1)

Thanks a lot
Michael