[ITK] [ITK-dev] ITK and old expat library

Rashad M mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 08:22:02 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Bradley Lowekamp <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It would be quite reasonable to support using a system expact.
>
> Could you please describe you problem a little clearer? Are you having
> problem compiling ITK? or an Application which uses ITK? or Issues
> compiling independent programs after ITK is installed?

My problem not with compiling/installing ITK but when compiling libkml, a
dependency of OTB which uses ITK. This uses an expat library and instead of
using  a system expat i wind up using expat from ITK as expat.h is
installed in <prefix>/include/ITK4.6. I can confirm using system expat
doesnt have any problem with libkml when used with OTB.

If you would like to have a look at bug report, see here[1]. I had a
temporary solution to build libkml before adding itk headers but a best
would be to have a fix in ITK' expat library.

The issue is coming using an installed version of ITK.
So if you are planning to upgrade expat library to its latest version or
use system expat then the problem is solved.

[1] http://bugs.orfeo-toolbox.org/view.php?id=879

> Thanks,
> Brad
>
> On Jun 1, 2014, at 3:29 AM, Rashad M <mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there an option to install expat includes in a different location? For
> now its installed in <prefix>/include. This seems to be a problem when
> using a latest expat version and by default ITK's expat is included.
>
> Or if it is possible to use a system expat to make sure that both ITK and
> other libraries uses same expat (latest version).
>
> best would be to change location <prefix>/include/expat. So that cmake can
> be used to remove item from list of include directories.
>
> eg:
> list(REMOVE_ITEM expat-includes itk-includes)
>
> --
> Regards,
>    Rashad

   Rashad