[ITK Community] Support for different python versions

Michka Popoff michkapopoff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 17:56:37 EDT 2014

We set the limit to 2.6 in this changeset : https://github.com/Kitware/ITK/commit/d3dbc12873c6534cccd1604e6fd0bbd5dff9f1d7

I did not find many stats about 2.5 usage. Here are two :

http://astrofrog.github.io/blog/2013/01/13/what-python-installations-are-scientists-using/
http://alexgaynor.net/2014/jan/03/pypi-download-statistics/

The second one is interesting as it is a dump of the PyPI download statics. We have 0.115% of usage for python 2.5 (don’t know how exact those values are).

We can still go back to 2.5 if needed, but I think we should then have a running test machine for this case. I don’t want to break anything.

As this was merged in release, we will see when ITK 4.5.2 is released how many people ask to get python 2.5 back.
Or perhaps we should have a deprecation message saying python 2.5 support will be gone for ITK 4.6 ?

Michka