[ITK Community] Isolating 3d touching regions

Emiliano Pastorelli emiliano.pastorelli at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 05:08:40 EDT 2014

Hi guys,

I started taking a look at the watershed and might indeed do the work. Due
to my inexperience though, finding the marker seems a less trivial problem
than what Dan mentions as not so difficult.

The problem is that somehow, i was trying to avoid skeletonization (i will
need later to compare my results to a similar dataset analyzed in a
different way that is centered on skeletonization). Do you happen to have
any idea on how to get those markers otherwise?

And should I go for the skeletonization (should it be the only solution, i
might have to) wouldn't the skeleton of the touching fibres be detected a
single skeleton? Also, what ITK algorithm would you best suggest should it
be needed to skeletonize a dataset like this one?

Thanks and sorry for the possible naivety of some of my questions!

Best,
Emiliano