[ITK] PasteImageFilter

David Froger david.froger.ml at mailoo.org
Wed May 7 09:29:49 EDT 2014

> I don't believe that Paste writing is supported by HDF5 image file format. If it is it might not be well tested.

From what I've understand, you're right : it is not well tested, but it works.
(Writing in a new HDF5 file region by region works, but writing a region in an
existing file doesn't works, because the HDF5 file is not opened with the
right mode).

> You might want to try an mha file extension to use the MetaImageIO file formation. I have used the mha and mrc file extensions heavily with streaming and have complete confidence in their implementation. I don't have much first hand experience with hdf5 though.

Unfortunatelly, I'm not free to change the file format... It's already fixed
by the team I work with.

> I have had to do simular operations before. However, I don't use the Paste feature for Streaming IO, just set the number of streaming streaming divisions. What I do is I create a pipeline which composes all the files ( sometime the JoinSeriesImageFilter or the TileImageFilter ) which can be the PasteImageFilter for you, then set that as input to the writer where the number of streaming divisions is set to the number of z-slices. To get the information from the input files call ImageFileReader::UpdateOutputInformation(). This will update the meta-data ( largest possible region, meta-data dictionary etc), but not read the image data.

I'll try this approach!

Thank you,
David