[ITK] Direction matrix and LPS system

Coert Metz c.metz at quantib.com
Fri Oct 31 11:17:30 EDT 2014

Dear all,

We are currently writing a conversion from a third party image format to
the ITK format. For that we need to correctly set the image origin and
direction matrix.

When directly reading DICOM images in ITK, (according to the code) they are
ordered in such a way that the coordinate system is right handed, i.e. the
columns of the direction matrix form a right handed coordinate system. Also
the Doxygen of SetDirection says the direction matrix columns should form a
right handed coordinate system.

In the image we get from the third party system (in memory) the DICOM
slices are not reordered, which means the coordinate system might be left
handed instead of right handed. We currently accommodate for this by
setting the right direction matrix, which seems to work fine, but also
seems to be illegal according to the Doxygen comment of SetDirection.

Is there any issue that can occur when following our approach? We would
rather not reorder the data, but just use the voxel data from the third
party system as is.

Kind regards,
--
Coert Metz, PhD
Research & Development Engineer  |  Quantib B.V. <http://www.quantib.com/>

--
This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are
not the addressee, please notify the sender and delete it from your files.