[ITK] [ITK-users] BinaryDilateImageFilter has an issue?

Girish Mallya Udupi indianzeppelin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 12:56:26 EDT 2014

Hi Hui,

Here's an explanation (someone more knowledgeable can correct me or explain
it in a better way).

See [1]. The dilate (as well as the erode) filter considers as foreground
those pixels which have a "DilateValue". If this value is not set, it
defaults to the maximum possible value of the *PixelType *which in your
case is the maximum value of the *signed int* type.

So, if you know the foreground value of your binary image, you might want
to try setting this "DilateValue", by using
*dilateFilter->SetDilateValue(). *You can also use the
MinimumMaximumImageCalculator
to find the maximum value (see [2]).

As an aside, wouldn't it be better to use *unsigned char* instead of *int *in
this case, since the image is binary?

[1] http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BinaryDilateImageFilter.html

[2]
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MinimumMaximumImageCalculator.html#a39a9bfc33090e47df71d5b9cd6665ccb