[ITK] VTK 4.2 build failed VolumeRayCastMapper_CastRays not declared

Kean Sum Ooi keansum at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 23:05:07 EDT 2015

I am trying to install ITKApps with VTK 4.2 as instructed from following
the instructions at: http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Insight_Applications

However when I try to build VTK 4.2, it fails at the make stage:
$ make -j2
/home/guest/installScripts/VTK/Rendering/vtkVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx: In
member function ‘virtual void vtkVolumeRayCastMapper::Render(vtkRenderer*,
vtkVolume*)’:
/home/guest/installScripts/VTK/Rendering/vtkVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx:523:38:
error: ‘VolumeRayCastMapper_CastRays’ was not declared in this scope
     this->Threader->SetSingleMethod( VolumeRayCastMapper_CastRays,

So may I please ask is there something we have to do before we can
successfully compile VTK 4.2?

I have building from both the VTK-4.2-LatestRelease.tar.gz and by checking
out v4.2.0 from git with the same results.

Thank you,
Best regards,
Sum