[ITK] ITK Example ShapeOpeningLabelMapFilter

Timothee Evain tevain at telecom-paristech.fr
Wed Aug 3 04:59:21 EDT 2016

Hello Jeanna,

I think this will be difficult just with the LabelMap framework.
Usually to filter vessels you rely on some measures based on their shape, but in the ShapeLabelObject, the elongation measure is "the ratio of the longest physical size of the region [i.e. the bounding box] on one dimension and its smallest physical size". This is a quite coarse measure, sensitive to rotation, and I doubt it will be useful in your case.
Aside from the attribute problem, you also have to detect the vessels prior to filtering them (i.e. getting a binary or a label image of vessels), and the LabelMap framework doesn't do that.

I would suggest taking a look at these other methods:
-Frangi's vesselness (implemented in itk through these filter : itkHessianToObjectnessMeasureImageFilter or itkHessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter)
-Ranking Orientation Responses of Path Openings, aka RORPO (http://path-openings.github.io/RORPO/)
-Fast Marching (itkFastMarchingImageFilter)

HTH,

Tim