[ITK] Changing between Debug/Release Builds

Wood, Tobias tobias.wood at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 17:04:28 EST 2017

Hello,

I am having trouble understanding previous posts to the lists about swapping between Debug and Release ITK builds when I change my own project from Debug to Release. The most recent posts I can find about this is here: http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/community/2016-May/011382.html

However - the last post in the topic conflicts with how I understand to build ITK. I created two directories:
Build_Release
Build_Debug

in one of them I (unsurprisingly) configured the build type to Release, the other to Debug, and built both.  This results in Build_Release/lib and Build_Debug/lib each having a full copy of all the libraries. The last post suggested that somehow I should end up with Build/lib/Debug and Build/lib/Release, and that after that CMake would take care of everything if I set $ITK_DIR correctly.

What am I missing? How do I end up building two build types in the same directory? If I try to change the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE variable in ccmake, I am prevented from entering more than one type.

Apologies for having to ask about something that has had multiple posts in the past,
Toby