[IGSTK-Developers] Does IGSTK need any calibration components?

Hui Zhang zhang at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Wed Nov 16 10:45:25 EST 2005

Hi, all,

Does IGSTK need any calibration components, like track tool calibration and
ultrasound probe calibration?

One important part of current IGSTK is the tracker component. When we use
tracker tools, those tools must be calibrated using pivot method to
calculate the transform from sensor/marker to the hot point (tip or
something else). Normally this step is done by using the software from the
company like NDI ... But sometime it is important to have the ability to do
the on-site calibration. As I know, one of Philips software integrates this
function in their navigation system. We have developed one class here to
calculate the transform through those pivot samples. If IGSTK needs this
component, I can try to contribute this part and make it state
machine -able.

Another component we have here is the point-based ultrasound probe
calibration class, which can handle the freehand ultrasound calibration by
using the pointer or some phantoms like cross-wire phantom. This calibration
component is essential to integrate ultrasound ability to image guided
system. It can be extented to calibrate the general imaging device to
trackers.

Hui (James) Zhang, Ph.D.

Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center
Department of Radiology
Georgetown University Medical Center
2115 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 603
Washington, DC, 20007