[Insight-developers] Test programs that won't compile

Stephen Aylward aylward at cs.unc.edu
Tue Nov 28 09:50:03 EST 2000

Regretfully, MS is the most popular compiler on Windows.   In my opinion, we have to support it if we want to support PCs.
Cygwin is nice, but most people don't use it.

Just my 2-cents.

Ross Whitaker wrote:

> The MS compiler does not support templated member functions....?
>
> Wow, that's amazing.  Templated member functions are pretty basic.
>
> I have brought this up before, and have been soundly rebuffed, but have we considered supporting some other compiler that
> runs on Wndows instead of the MS compiler?
>
> Hypothetically, how bad would the MS compiler have to be for us not to support it?  Suppose it only compiled C programs,
> would we just write everything in C and continue to "support" the MS compiler?
>
> If MS is *not* planning on fixing these kinds of things anyway, then why we should we tie ourselves to such a compiler?
>
> I suspect that the typical "market" for this toolkit will be sophisticated enough to install another compiler if they have
> to.  Don't you think so?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ross
>
> Bill Hoffman wrote:
>
> > On windows, all of those fail except itkBasicArchitectureTest.
> > The problem seems to be in ikNeightborhood.txx.
> > It is using a member template.
> > I know that the microsoft compiler does not support templated member functions, unless they are in the class definition.
> >

> --
> Ross T. Whitaker, Assistant Professor
> School of Computing, University of Utah
> Salt Lake City, UT  84112-9205
> voice: 801/587-9549, fax: 801/581-5843
> web: www.cs.utah.edu/~whitaker

Stephen R. Aylward, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Radiology
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Computer Science
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~aylward
aylward at unc.edu
(919)966-9695