[Insight-developers] Test programs that won't compile

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Nov 28 10:42:34 EST 2000

I agree.   The biggest problem is C++ itself.  Since C++ is not binary
compatible across compilers, third party libraries must be compiled with
the same compiler.  There are many commercial libraries that will be
available only compiled with the Microsoft compiler.  This is the same
reason that the SGI compiler is demanded by those using SGI's, and the
same for SUN and HP.   To support a platform, you have to support that
manufactures native compiler.   So, we are stuck with the MS compiler
as the least common denominator.   It will keep us grounded...
We could go with the KAI compiler, and not support SGI, SUN, or MS.
It certainly would be possible to develop a library that does that.
I do not think that is the path we should take.

-Bill