[Insight-developers] itkPoint itkVector additional methods

Luis Ibanez ibanez@choroid.cs.unc.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:38:16 -0400 (EDT)

Jim,

1) Ok for renaming SetToMedian() to SetToMidpoint()
   (of maybe SetToMidPoint() ?)
   "Median" is a correct geometrical term, but I
   agree with SetToMidPoint() as the most intuitive
   name.

2) About the static classes, that's also a good option,
   but for something really fast as the SetToMidPoint(),
   the call:

   Point q = MidPoint( a, b);

   implies an overhead of calling twice the contructor
   of itkPoint, for dealing with the temp variable on
   return.  Any way, nothing prevent us from providing
   both methods, with the corresponding warning on the
   documentation.

3) LinearCombination() is also a more intuitive name.
   though "Barycentric combination" is the official
   technical name. I'll move the "Barycentric" text
   to the doxygen header, it has now some LaTeX
   equations, and rename the method as LinearCombination().

4) I like the option of the more generic method that
   receive an array of points,.. I was just wandering
   what this array should be :

   - a C array of Point
   - an STL container of Points
   - an ITK container of Points