[Insight-developers] Great examples

Hans J. Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa . edu
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:32:00 -0600

Luis & Jim,

The exchange of e-mails between you, and Radhika, does a great job of
explaining one of the major stumbling blocks in getting new people to
use ITK.  I've run into this myself in helping others to incorporate a
small peice of ITK with existing applications, without a complete
understanding the ITK pipeline.

In particular, when refactoring legacy code to ITK, it is critical that
one can use the ITK functionality in a proceedural manner as a stepping
stone to moving it to a pipeline structure.  I've seen a couple of
programmers (including myself) spend many days trying to figure out how
to get one aspect of ITK (i.e. a single filter) to work in old
procedural code because we made the same mistake that Radhika did.

Would you please collect these examples and put them into the FAQ?  Even
better, an example that is included in the pipeline section of the ITK
software guide would clear up a lot of questions.

Just my 2 cents, but this is the best explanation that I've seen so
far.  It could just be that after wrestling with this for so long that
this example was the one that made it all click.

Thanks,
Hans J. Johnson