[Insight-developers] CMake error(s)

Damion Shelton beowulf@cs.cmu.edu
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 00:41:57 -0500

This is not entirely an ITK question, but CMake 1.6.3 is giving me the
following error when trying to compile some example code linking
against VTK, FLTK, and ITK:

  CMake Error: Error: An atttempt was made to access a variable:
CMAKE_X_LIBS
  that has not been defined. Some variables were always defined by CMake
in
  versions prior to 1.6. To fix this you might need to set the cache
value of
  CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 1.4 or less. If you are writing a
CMakeList
  file, (or have already set CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATABILITY to 1.4 or
less) then
  you probably need to include a CMake module to test for the feature
this
  variable defines.

My CMakeLists.txt file never references the CMAKE_X_LIBS variable.....
any suggestions? I'd be happy to provide the CMakeLists.txt file if
that would help.

Another problem was brought up by one of the students. He says:

"...it said "Checking for working C
compiler: cl" for a while and then finally came up with an "error"
window
with a huge list of errors like "The C compiler is not ablt to compile a
simple tests program. It fails with the following output: and then lists
like 800 problems."

I have also seen this problem on my Windows machine, and it appears to
be related to choosing the incorrect output format (Visual
Studio/Borland/etc.) If the incorrect format is chosen, it's impossible
to correct the choice in the future, and CMake consistently fails the
"simple tests program".

Thanks,
-Damion-