[Insight-developers] += operator for itk::Offset

Mark Foskey mark_foskey@unc.edu
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:24:59 -0500

OK, I am checking in my changes.

I also have some other questions about Offset, Index, and Size.

First of all, does the set of methods provided by each follow in a
natural way from their intended uses?  I see that you can increment an
Offset by a Size, but you can't increment a Size by an Offset, yet I
can imagine wanting to do both.  You can componentwise multiply two
Sizes, but not two Offsets.  The question comes to mind of whether we
really should have two different classes.  It certainly makes sense
conceptually to represent a size as the offset from the origin to the
diagonally opposite corner.

The relationship beween Offsets and Indexes is a little clearer,
essentially that between vectors and points in affine geometry.

Also, I'm a little unclear on assigning to these kinds of items.  In
the main comments for Index, there is the following:

  * The following syntax for assigning an index is allowed/suggested:
  *
  *    Index<3> index = {{5, 2, 7}};
  *
  * The double braces {{ and }} are needed to prevent a compiler warning
  * about a partly bracketed initializer.

However, in the comment for m_Index, we have the following:

    * The following syntax for assigning an index is allowed/suggested:
    *    Index<3> index = {5, 2, 7}; */

There is a similar pair of comments in itkSize.h, only in the opposite
locations.  Is the one with nested sets of braces correct?