[Insight-developers] Mesh from binary mask options

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 02:09:02 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm using itk::BinaryMask3DMeshSource to create a mesh from a mask
I've generated. I translate the resulting mesh to an stl file via
itkMeshTovtkPolyData and vtkSTLWriter (and optionally
vtkWindowedSincPolyDataFilter). Some of the masks I'm producing have
quite fine structure - for example 1 voxel thick filaments. Naturally
the mesh produced by the marching cubes algorithm does not include
this sort of structure - the interpretation of such structures is
application dependent. In my case I would like to have the filaments
represented in the mesh as tubes. One hack that would achieve this is
to resample the mask so that the filaments are no longer one pixel
thick and apply the marching cubes as before. However I was wondering
if there is any other approach. I'm not tied to stl, I just need
something that can be imported by typical cad packages. In addition,
if anyone can recommend a way of producing a nurbs based
representation from (or instead of) the triangulation, I'd like to
hear about it.

Thanks.