[Insight-developers] cmake version of the Insigh Journal Automatic Testing System seems to be 2.0

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Mar 28 10:46:05 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:21:26 +0200, William A. Hoffman
<billlist at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> At 08:40 AM 3/28/2006, Gaetan Lehmann wrote:
>
>> That's exactely why I ask for a flag specific to the insight journal, so
>> the contributor can set different default values for the automatic
>> testing
>> system.
>> In that case, we can set all languages support to ON by default, so the
>> automatic testing system will build all the languages support without
>> having to modify any option by hand.
>> It seems that I haven't been clear; I hope that's more clear now :-)
>
> I think we are still not quite on the same page.
> So, for IJ, I would think that it should build out of the box
> with no special options.   So, for the submission to IJ, just hard
> code everything to be on.  Then if other people download the code
> from IJ, they will get the same build as IJ did.   When it gets accepted
> into ITK, the correct user options can be added.  The key is that
> IJ is automatic, and when it gets moved into ITK proper that will
> be done by an actual person.   The idea of IJ is reproducibility,
> so when users download something from IJ, and try it, they should
> not have to set any options, it should work exactly like it did for
> IJ, just by running
>
>  cmake; make; make test

We can build all the languages by default, but most of the user surely
don't want that, and surely don't have all the required languages
installed; If one language is not installed on the user host, the user
will get several error messages and warnings, things that should really be
avoided.
For me, the best solution for the end user is to set no language by
default, and let him choose what he want to build.

Again, WrapITK is not only a submission to the insight journal, it's a
full project, and the CMakeLists.txt file is not only there to set up the
tests, but also to make the configuration of the project easy.

If you have any solution, I would be happy to use it.
If you think my point of view is not compatible with an insight journal
submission, please tell me, and I'll stop wasting my time trying to find
solutions.

Gaetan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann