[Insight-developers] using swig to wrap ITK - a summary of the tcon (and a little much)

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Nov 20 15:04:14 EST 2006

Le Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:51:15 +0100, Bill Hoffman
<bill.hoffman at kitware.com> a écrit:

> Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:
>>
>> and - please - no more tell me what I'm doing is not constructive
>>
>> BTW, I'm not making attacks against CVS. CVS is a good tool, but there
>> are some very better versioning systems. I'll not describe why - it's
>> very easy to find with google
> Yes, and we are all aware of CVS's short falls, but it has nothing to do
> with wrapping and ITK.
> So, lets keep this on topic.   The topic at hand is improving the
> wrapping process.   And, yes,
> you have done great things towards that goal.   I would like to see you
> make it across the finish
> line and get this working in ITK on all the platforms and languages that
> the old wrappers worked
> with.

I will not learn a new development environment in the near future, so I
will not do that.

But I would be really pleased to help someone used to develop on windows
to fix the problems with WrapITK.

> So, to answer your question one module per class would be too many .so
> files.   If you look at VTK,
> there are 1000 classes.  That would be 1000 .so files or dlls, I am not
> sure what problems that would cause but
> for one thing just looking at a directory with a 1000 files can be
> slow.   Swig has the idea that whole
> libraries should NOT be wrapped.   The Swig way is to  create a smaller
> API that is wrapped.  Perhaps a
> hand created API.   We want an entire class library wrapped.   This
> changes the design requirements a bit.

Ok, so I will make it work with a few libs, as it is done currently in
WrapITK.
It should also fix the template-parameters-as-dict-interface feature

> So, I  guess this means you are not interested in doing the smaller
> example and feasibility study I am interested in.
> You seem to have not addressed that issue in this email.   Perhaps you
> could use your pygccxml based system
> to create the .i files for the test to avoid doing much by hand.   The
> .i files should not have much
> python specific stuff in them.

there is no python specific code in the .i files. The language specific
code will be put in a wrap_XXX_ext.i file, and the file put in a python
(or tcl or any other language) directory

>   I really don't see the point in moving forward until we are 100% sure
> it is going
> to work.  ( I am right now about 95% sure....)   If you are interested,
> I can create the library of sample classes
> to wrap.

I'm sending you the files off list

Gaetan

--