[Insight-developers] Re: [Insight-users] ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator with mask support

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Fri Nov 24 14:05:25 EST 2006

On 11/22/06, Gaëtan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to generate an histogram of an image, but only in a mask... and
> ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator doesn't support masks.
>
> Is there a class to do that in ITK ?

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes, I wrote a bunch of classes to do that.. but its not in ITK yet..

The class you're looking for below is itk::ImageToListGenerator that takes a
scalar image and generates a list sample and optionally accepts a mask as
well, which is specified, the class will generate list samples confined to
the mask. Once you have that sample (itk::ListSample), you can use the usual
ITK classes to do what you want with it, for instance generating a
histogram.. For example, below this class is used to generate K-means within
the mask.

http://www.na-mic.org:8000/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=NAMICSandBox&path=%2Ftrunk%2FBayesianSegmentationModule%2FitkImageToListGenerator.h&rev=1106&sc=0
http://www.na-mic.org:8000/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=NAMICSandBox&path=%2Ftrunk%2FBayesianSegmentationModule%2FitkImageToListGenerator.txx&rev=0&sc=0
http://www.na-mic.org:8000/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=NAMICSandBox&path=%2Ftrunk%2FBayesianSegmentationModule%2FitkImageToListGeneratorTest.cxx&rev=0&sc=0
http://www.na-mic.org:8000/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=NAMICSandBox&path=%2Ftrunk%2FBayesianSegmentationModule%2FitkScalarImageKmeansImageFilterWithMask.h&rev=0&sc=0
http://www.na-mic.org:8000/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=NAMICSandBox&path=%2Ftrunk%2FBayesianSegmentationModule%2FitkScalarImageKmeansImageFilterWithMask.txx&rev=0&sc=0

If you want, I can add it to ITK in a couple of days..  It'll be good if you
can look at the code and see if it suits your needs.

Thanks
Regards
-karthik

A quick look at the code used in ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator show that
> the changes to implement that feature will not be easy.
> I would be pleased to write the code to implement that feature, but as I'm
> not familiar with the satistic framework, I would appreciate some advice
> about the way to go.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gaetan
>

> --
> Gaëtan Lehmann
> INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
> tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66    fax: 01 34 65 29 09
> http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr

Karthik Krishnan
R&D Engineer,
Kitware Inc.