[Insight-developers] Build Order Issues

Hans Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Fri Aug 17 10:39:48 EDT 2007

Luis and ITK developers,

Perhaps you can help me.  I've attached a modified CMakeLists.txt file from
Code/IO to this message.

Background:
-----------
I am trying to build ITK with the new USE_TRANSFORM_IO_FACTORIES and
USE_REVIEW.  After building I will be installing ITK to a new location, and
then linking and building against the installed version.

I'm developing software that requires both the NeuralNetwork readers, and
the new transform factories.

The Goal:
---------
Since the TRANSFORM_IO_FACTORIES were backwards compatible, I don't want the
end user programs (i.e. InsightApplications) to require explicit linking
against the itkReview library based on ITK compile flags.

I was hoping that if USE_TRANSFORM_IO_FACTORIES was chosen, then by adding
"TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(ITKIO itkReview)"  to Code/IO/CMakeLists.txt any
external application that previously required linking to ITKIO would now
also link against itkReview.

The problem:
------------
In the Code/IO/CMakeLists.txt, the ITKIO library is built, BUT so is the
itkTestDriver executable that needed for testing.  The linking of the
itkTestDriver program at this stage introduces an unnecessary link
requirement that itkReview be built already.

Solution?
---------
A) Move the itkTestDriver executable building to the Testing/Code/IO tree,
and only build it if USE_TESTING is defined.
B) Build IO library after the itkReview Library
C) Both A & B

Please let me know there is a better solution.

Thanks,
Hans
--
Hans J. Johnson, Ph.D.