[Insight-developers] Re: Review Directory : Coding Style Problems

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Jan 25 11:39:17 EST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:16:56 +0100, Bill Hoffman
<bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:

> Gaetan Lehmann wrote:
>>
>> In the files I have fixed this morning, at least 95% of the problems
>> was the length of the lines. Like you, I would really prefer spending
>> this time doing things more useful.
>>
>>  - that's why I ask again if the line length limit can be increased, or
>> removed
>
> Like it or not, the line lengths are here to stay, so the best approach
> would be to write the code with the correct line length to begin with.
> Many editors can be setup to flag or notify you that the line length is
> past the limit.

Bill, that's not only that: THE CODE IS LESS CLEAR !

>   Another approach, might be to make this a cvs commit check. That way
> the code never makes it to the dashboard with the long lines.

Enforcing this kind of rules is a good idea when the rule is good, but in
that case , it would prevent some nice code/bug fixes to be checked in.
Please be sure that all the files in the repository are valid before doing
that.

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)