[Insight-developers] Streaming ImageIO & NIfTI file format.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jul 19 11:03:53 EDT 2007

Hi Kent,

It is great to hear that you have already implemented the IO streaming
functionality in the Nifti ImageIO classes.

The latest version of the ImageIOStreaming effort is still in the
NAMIC Sandbox.

            The reading part of it is fully functional.

We were considering solving the "Writing" part of it before we submit
it to the Insight Journal, just to have a single API conmotion
instead of two.

The code will have to be reviewed in the Insight Journal, then be
moved to the Code Review directory, and from there it will make it
to its final destination in the Code/IO directory.

The interest on implementing the Writing side of the Streaming,
is that otherwise, users have to put the StreamingImageFilter at
the end of their pipelines and recompose the full output image
before it is sent to the output file.

Several options have been discussed during the recent weekly tcons.

One of them is to incorporate in the ImageFileWriter some of the
functionalities of the StreamingImageFilter. In particular adding
the API for accepting an ImageRegionSplitter, maybe provided by
the specific ImageIO class, so that different file formats can
specify how they will like to cut the output image in sub-regions
that will be natural for them to write to disk.

This is an early brainstorm stage. Any suggestions will be very
appreciated.