[Insight-developers] changes in level set routines since ITK 3.4 breaks itk-snap

Luca Antiga luca.antiga at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 04:15:31 EDT 2008

Hi all,
  I'm responsible for the changes, which were related to the
extension of level sets to anisotropic voxel spacings.
I'm sorry this difficulty came up.

Let me clarify the issue with ITK_USE_DEPRECATED_LEVELSET_INTERPOLATION.

Before the changes, there was a fudge factor that the authors
originally introduced in the interpolation of sparse field level sets
that was intended to help avoiding level set oscillations.
After performing tests and seeing that it wasn't bringing in any
concrete advantage, the same authors suggested to get rid of that
fudge factor, however with the possibility of retaining backward
compatibility. Therefore we introduced the
ITK_USE_DEPRECATED_LEVELSET_INTERPOLATION flag.

The fudge factor had been never introduced in the parallel version of
the sparse field, and that's why you don't find any reference to
ITK_USE_DEPRECATED_LEVELSET_INTERPOLATION in the parallel version.

Without the fudge factor (the new way, with
ITK_USE_DEPRECATED_LEVELSET_INTERPOLATION=OFF) the serial and
parallel should behave the same. The old way, not.

I'm compiling SNAP now, I'll try to reproduce the problem and
investigate on it.

Luca