[Insight-developers] LIBXML2

Stephen R. Aylward Stephen.Aylward at Kitware.com
Sun Jan 20 14:15:12 EST 2008

Hi,

This request is coming from people doing XCEDE and BatchMake development.
Most of this XML work could be isolated to within the MetaIO directory, but
if the broader community wants libxml2, I'd like to place it outside the
MetaIO framework.

It would be used in three ways initially:

1) MetaCommand would use it to generate/parse XML descriptions of command
lines to match what is used by Slicer and BatchMake.

2) Read/write MRML parameter nodes.  Certain MRML nodes contain parameter
values for algorithms/filters.   We are developing a standard class for
reading/writing parameter values in MRML nodes.  That way, we can load/save,
for example, the parameter values used for specific registration problems
such as head MR-MR registration.

3) Under the ITK maintenance contract we are adding support for maintaining
data providence information in ITK.
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_Roadmap_2007_2008.  An example of
reading/writing this information will be provided for the XNET/XCEDE xml
schema. http://www.nbirn.net/tools/xcede/index.shtm.

Yes - we'd keep expat.  It is great for small xml tasks.   But perhaps it is
better to include libxml2 instead of extending expat in ways that duplicated
the functionality in libxml2 (DOM and verification in particular).

I've got it compiling and passing basic tests on windows and linux already.
VTK's implementation made it easy.

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen R. Aylward, Ph.D.