[Insight-developers] LIBXML2

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 14:42:15 EST 2008

Stephen,

On Jan 20, 2008 2:15 PM, Stephen R. Aylward <Stephen.Aylward at kitware.com>
wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> This request is coming from people doing XCEDE and BatchMake
> development.   Most of this XML work could be isolated to within the MetaIO
> directory, but if the broader community wants libxml2, I'd like to place it
> outside the MetaIO framework.
>
> It would be used in three ways initially:
>
> 1) MetaCommand would use it to generate/parse XML descriptions of command
> lines to match what is used by Slicer and BatchMake.

GenerateCLP uses expat. The xml for Slicer is not really complicated. The
parsing with expat is pretty simple. Also, GenerateCLP could in principle
generate code to do MetaCommand command line processing. Te parsing is
separte from the command line processor.

> 2) Read/write MRML parameter nodes.  Certain MRML nodes contain parameter
> values for algorithms/filters.   We are developing a standard class for
> reading/writing parameter values in MRML nodes.  That way, we can load/save,
> for example, the parameter values used for specific registration problems
> such as head MR-MR registration.

I'm concerned that Slicer3 will use two different xml parsers.  Can't that
parsing be done with expat? I can help you if need be...

> 3) Under the ITK maintenance contract we are adding support for
> maintaining data providence information in ITK.
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_Roadmap_2007_2008.  An example of
> reading/writing this information will be provided for the XNET/XCEDE xml
> schema. http://www.nbirn.net/tools/xcede/index.shtm.
>
> Yes - we'd keep expat.  It is great for small xml tasks.   But perhaps it
> is better to include libxml2 instead of extending expat in ways
> that duplicated the functionality in libxml2 (DOM and verification in
> particular).

I'm not recommending that we extend expat.

> I've got it compiling and passing basic tests on windows and linux
> already.   VTK's implementation made it easy.

ITK has a much broader platform base than VTK. I'm concerned about the
additional maintanence load. I suggest Borland, cygwin, mingw,  mac builds
(32/64) and VS6 at a minimum. Kitware has machines for all of these.