[Insight-developers] LIBXML2

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Tue Jan 22 10:42:18 EST 2008

I did a simple project to move DICOM data to an Excede, and used XercesSC
because that¹s the library I was pointed to at the time. XercesSC is GPL
though, and so is not a good fit with ITK licensing. If libxml2 covers the
same ground, it would be fine by me.

According to the web page: ³SAX: a SAX2 like interface and a minimal SAX1
implementation compatible with early expat versions²

Which suggests there¹s at least some straightforward path to rewrite
expat-based stuff against LIBXML2.

Expat is so small and so broadly supported, it should probably continue to
be included, unless and until someone writes an expat Œskin¹ to LIBXML2 to
save people the trouble of re-writing.

I¹ve also used expat on several projects, precisely because it is included
with ITK, and we haul ITK around with us everywhere we go.

The biggest argument including yet another library in ITK is that it is yet
another library in ITK, and a fairly large chunk of code to be adding.  At
some point, we need to formalize a mechanism to keep ITK¹s Katamari
Damacy-like tendency to accrue subsidiary libraries.

If you aren¹t familiar with Katamari Damacy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwhFH75OCDs