[Insight-developers] Re: Mac OS : 64bits to 32bits conversion warnings

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Jan 24 15:32:09 EST 2008

On 1/24/08 3:11 PM, Luis Ibanez said:

>We are working on the 64bits to 32bits conversion warnings on
>the Mac, and we are wondering if there is a way of remove the
>ones that come from the MacOS Developer SDK itself.
>
>e.g.:
>/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.0.0
>
>Do you have any suggestions on how to remove these
>files from the list of the ones that produce warnings ?
>
>It will help to focus on the warnings that are actually
>related to ITK.

Apple's headers suffer from these 64 to 32 conversions as you have
noticed.  I don't understand why gcc complains because by default it is
not supposed to give warnings from system headers.  I suspect it is
related to templates and inlining.  We have been filing bugs with Apple,
hopefully the headers will be fixed in the next Xcode.  Until then, we
have simply hacked our headers with casts.  Over the last few days we
have been doing this on our dashboard machines, but there are a few more
to do.  Would you like a patch file to apply to your own Macs?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com