[Insight-developers] How to do an experimental build on MSVC?

Niels Dekker niels-xtk at xs4all.nl
Tue May 27 11:09:51 EDT 2008

Alexandre GOUAILLARD wrote:
> You have an "Experimental" project in msvc. Right-click on it and
> choose "project->build project only".

Thank you, Alex.  Unfortunately things don't go very smoothly.  I
double-click on "ITK.sln", and it is opened by Visual Studio 2005.  When
I then right-click "Experimental", and do "project->build project only",
the Output window tells me:

1>------ Build started: Project: Experimental, Configuration: Debug
Win32
1>   Site: 4-LKEB-IVUS-ND
1>   Build name: Win32-vs8
1>Create new tag: 20080527-1354 - Experimental
1>Start processing tests
1>Configure project
1>   Each . represents 1024 bytes of output

But then a popup window pops up:

  CMake has regenerated 18 .sln and/or .vcproj files.
  Click:
    -- Yes to reload the whole solution and issue a new Build Solution
command.
    -- No to reload the whole solution and stop the build.
    -- Cancel to do nothing.
  (After clicking Cancel, Visual Studio will likely prompt to reload
each .vcproj file individually, resulting in 18 more dialogs...)

When I press Yes, another popup window pops up, saying: "The solution
cannot be closed while a build is in progress. Do you want to stop the
build?"

I press Yes again.

The Output window says:
1>------ Skipped Build: Project: NightlyMemoryCheck, Configuration:
Debug Win32
1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
2>------ Skipped Build: Project: PACKAGE, Configuration: Debug Win32
2>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
3>------ Skipped Build: Project: Continuous, Configuration: Debug Win32
3>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
4>------ Skipped Build: Project: Experimental, Configuration: Debug
Win32
4>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
5>------ Skipped Build: Project: Nightly, Configuration: Debug Win32
5>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
6>------ Skipped Build: Project: RUN_TESTS, Configuration: Debug Win32
6>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
7>------ Skipped Build: Project: INSTALL, Configuration: Debug Win32
7>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 0 failed, 392 up-to-date, 7 skipped

That's it!  Nothing tested, nothing submitted!  Any clue about what I'm
doing wrong?

BTW, my cygwin experimental build *did* finish its job.  Telling me
about a little GCC-incompatibility in my proposed itk::ExceptionObject
patch. ("a class-key must be used when declaring a friend")  Excuse me
for those 345 build errors at
www.cdash.org/CDash/index.php?project=Insight# (Experimental)!  I'll
surely fix this one before committing...

Kind regards,

Niels