[Insight-developers] How to do an experimental build on MSVC?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Tue May 27 11:17:24 EDT 2008

You're not doing anything "wrong" but when you first click "Yes" to reload
the solution and issue a new "Build Solution" command, CMake issues a new
"Build Solution" command...... Rather, you should click "No" and do the
"project only build" that you were trying to do on "Experimental" in the
first place.

(There must have been a CMake change that caused a re-configure and the
prompting about changed solution files....)

There is a way to submit an experimental dashboard and avoid the Visual
Studio reload problem entirely: do it from the command line rather than from
within Visual Studio.

First, exit all running instances of Visual Studio. Then, in the binary tree
for ITK (the build directory), execute the command:
ctest -VV -D Experimental

Or, if ctest is not in your PATH environment variable, execute it with the
full path to ctest:
"C:\Program Files\CMake 2.6\bin\ctest" -VV -D Experimental

HTH,
David