[Insight-developers] How to do an experimental build on MSVC?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue May 27 11:28:08 EDT 2008

Hi Niels,

This happens because, as part of the build, it was found
that the configuration files needed to be updated, and
therefore CMake needed to be run again.

When CMake is launched from Visual Studio, CMake regenerates
the project files, and since their timestamp on disk changes,
visual studio tries to load the project files them again.

Visual Studio asks you if you want to load them, just to tell
you later that the projects can not be loaded while a build is
in progress. (if you find this illogical, wait until you start
using Windows Vista...)

All this is annoying,... but normal.  :-/

---

Here are two suggestions to avoid this problem.

A) Close Visual Studio, and run CMake to configure
    your build by considering any recent changes.

    Then load the .sln file in visual studio and
    run the experimental by right-clicking in the
    project and selecting "build".

    In this way, any needed update of the configuration
    is done outside of Visual Studio during your CMake
    run. (pre-emtive configuration)

OR (exclusive)

B) Run CTest from a command line (e.g. MS_DOS or Cygwin shell).

    like:

    cd into the binary tree of ITK,

    then

    /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/CMake\ 2.4/bin/ctest -D Experimental

I prefer to use option "B"...