[Insight-developers] Okay to remove protected helper function, ExceptionObject::UpdateWhat()?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue May 27 15:48:16 EDT 2008

Bill Lorensen wrote:
> I'm sorry, but this is another compatibility discussion.

I just meant I didn't want to get into a philosophy discussion.  This
specific case is fine to discuss.

> That is not a very customer-focused view. Is there a reason this
> method was not declared private? You wrote it. To be honest, I have
> not even looked at the code. Is there a technical reason why we should
> not keep the method?

It should have been private...it was just a utility method.  Niels'
implementation does not need the utility so we don't need it anymore.

I just looked at it in more detail.  The method is non-virtual, and the
members it sets are private.  It would be non-trivial for a user to be
depending on calling or overriding this method from outside code.

-Brad