[Insight-developers] CMake Flag to make itk::Image behave like itk::OrientedImage

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 14 12:24:27 EDT 2008

Hi Hans,

As we agreed during the ITK Tcon 2.0 on Friday:

      http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Minutes_091208

a CMake flag has now been added to the top CMakeLists.txt
file with the purpose of optionally changing the itk::Image
to behave like the itk::OrientedImage.

You can now turn this option on by going to the CMake Advanced
flags and changing:

         ITK_IMAGE_BEHAVES_AS_ORIENTED_IMAGE

The code from

    SetSpacing
    SetDirection
    TransformPhysicalPointToIndex
    TransformIndexToPhysicalPoint
    TransformPhysicalPointToContinuousIndex
    TransformContinuousIndexToPhysicalPoint

was copied from the itk::OrientedImage into the itk::Image.

The new code is only used if the ITK_IMAGE_BEHAVES_AS_ORIENTED_IMAGE
flag is ON.

Once the dust settles we can prevent the code duplication by moving
this into specific methods that the itk::OrientedImage can inherit
from the itk::Image.

After fixing code in a couple of places, this complies with the flag
ON (at least under Linux with Gcc 4.1).

However, as you predicted, a large number of test fail when the flag
is ON. An Experimental build with the flag ON was submitted yesterday
from zion. You will find the failing tests of this build at:

http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewTest.php?onlyfailed&buildid=171151

There are 106 failing tests.
They broadly fall in the following categories:

   1) ImageIO
      - Analyze
      - Nrrd

   2) Mathematical Morphology

   3) Image Registration
      - normal framework and
      - deformable registration

   4) Resampling

My suggestion is to split these groups among several developers.

I'll be happy to look at the Image registration problems.

Hopefully, as Ken pointed out, after fixing a couple of them
we will find a pattern to follow.

   Please let us know if this makes sense,