[Insight-developers] Problem with 3.14 release

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jun 2 10:55:24 EDT 2009

On 6/2/09 2:47 PM, Tom Vercauteren said:

>Hi Sean and Brad,
>
>The solution pointed by Sean should work but IMHO, does not address
>the actual problem. I think the real problem lies in the cmake magic
>and should thus be solved from there.
>
>On an intel mac, running
>  cmake -DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES="i386;ppc64"  <path_to_itk_sources>
>works like a charm. As expected, the TRY_RUN fails to compile the sse2
>test program which leads to setting
>   VNL_CONFIG_ENABLE_SSE2 to OFF (for all target platforms).
>
>However, running
>  ccmake <path_to_itk_sources>
>and then setting
>  CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES to "i386;ppc64"
>fails. This is because the sse2 TRY_RUN is done before setting the
>target architecture. This leads to setting
>   VNL_CONFIG_ENABLE_SSE2 to ON (for all target platforms).

Oh.  Weird.  That's ever worse.

Would it not be even better to get rid of the TRY_RUN entirely?  They
are fundamentally at odds with cross compilation.  Ideally, I'd like SSE
on for the intel half of my libraries and off for the PowerPC half.
Wouldn't a try-compile suffice for deciding if SSE is available?  Is
there no standard __SSE__ or something that could be #if'ed against?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com