[Insight-developers] ImageFileReader/Writer read progress

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue May 19 10:11:10 EDT 2009

Hello,

Setting ImageFileWriter::NumberOfStreamDivisions will change the way
the pipeline executes. This may effect the results or functionality of
some filters. So if streaming the pipeline is not desired, call
UpdateLargestPossibleRegion before the writer. Also only MetaImage
files support this streaming.

The ImageFileReader does not even appear to sent the start to end
events. It should be able to at least do that.

If you want true progress from the reader, you could place a
StreamingImageFilter after it. Set the NumberOfStreamDivisions to an
appropriate number, trading off number of updates and performance. If
the ImageIO supports streaming then the progress of the
StreamingImageFilter will reflect the progress of the reader.

Hope this helps.

Brad

On May 19, 2009, at 5:33 AM, Iván Macía wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> It seems like itk::ImageFileReader does not report any
> ProgressEvent. On the other hand, ImageFileWriter does seem to
> update progress for each stream division when
> NumberOfStreamDivisions is greater than one.
>
> Are there any plans to implement this functionality? It seems like
> the main problem is that, in that case, each ImageIO should report
> its own progress to inform the ImageFileReader if im not wrong.
>
> In general, these operations don’t take too much time but there are
> cases in which it takes considerable time and I would like to inform
> users of my application about the progress of the operation, for
> example when the file is being read directly from another place the
> network.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ivan
>
> --
> Iván Macía Oliver
> Investigador / Ikertzailea / Researcher
> Departamento de Aplicaciones Biomédicas - Aplikazio Biomedikoaren
> Alorra - Biomedical Applications
> VICOMTech - Visual Interaction and Communication Technologies Center
> Mikeletegi Pasealekua, 57 - Parque Tecnológico
> E-20009 Donostia - San Sebastián, Spain
> Tel: +[34] 943 30 92 30
> Fax: +[34] 943 30 93 93
> e-mail: imacia at vicomtech.org
> http://www.vicomtech.org
>
> *** member of INI-GraphicsNet ****
> http://www.inigraphics.net
> *** member of IK4 Research Alliance ****
> http://www.ik4.es

> VICOMTech is an ISO 9001:2000 certified institute
>
> <ATT00001.txt>

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for
National Library of Medicine