[Insight-developers] Image writing with unicode filename impossible with MSVC

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Oct 20 08:56:12 EDT 2009

Sean McBride wrote:
> On 10/19/09 11:15 AM, Brad King said:
>
>> As the primary maintainer of KWSys I prefer to put as little
>> in the library as possible.
>
> Perhaps I haven't been following closely enough, but do you mean you
> wouldn't want to create a utf8 lib from scratch in KWSys or that you
> don't even want a thin wrapper over utf-cpp in KWSys?

Both.

There is no reason to create a utf8 lib from scratch when there are
plenty of third-party libraries available.  We cannot do a thin-wrapper
because KWSys cannot have third-party dependencies.

IMO KWSys already has too much.  Originally it was just supposed to avoid
duplicate Kitware-written code that was copied between VTK and ITK.  It
was a/my mistake to add things like the MD5 hash implementation to it.

> If the latter, that means we'd end up with both a vtkUnicodeString and
> itkUnicodeString?  What if CMake needs to process utf8?

We already have zlib in all three projects, named vtkzlib, itkzlib, and
cmzlib.  Each project mangles the symbols to avoid conflicts, and they
all support sharing a system-installed version.

-Brad