[Insight-developers] ITK CVS ->Git

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jul 23 16:39:33 EDT 2010

On 07/22/2010 11:50 AM, Brad King wrote:
> (1) We need to freeze CVS repository commits so that I can convert the
> last few changes (and the 3.20 branch) that have come in since I last
> synced from the CVS server.  Unlike release freezes, *nobody* will have
> commit access, and it will never un-freeze.  We need to select a schedule
> of events for the final transition.
>
>  (a) Freeze CVS
>  (b) Final CVS->Git conversion
>  (c) Enable Git repositories

These steps have been completed.  The ITK Git repositories are online!
I will send a general announcement to both the developers and *users*
lists *after* the web pages have been updated.

There was consensus on the short URLs:

  git://itk.org/ITK.git                  (main)
  git://itk.org/ITKApps.git              (apps)
  git://itk.org/ITKData.git              (data)

please also browse the repositories online:

  http://itk.org/ITK.git
  http://itk.org/ITKApps.git
  http://itk.org/ITKData.git

>  (d) Update web pages and add developer docs on the Wiki

I've sent instructions to the appropriate people at Kitware to get
the ITK download page:

  http://www.itk.org/ITK/resources/software.html

updated, but it has not yet been finished.  It will link to the
new Wiki page dedicated to the Git repositories:

  http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Git

The Wiki page is not yet complete.  I need to generalize some of
the information from the VTK wiki to avoid duplication and then
link to it from both places.  Meanwhile, you can follow the VTK
publishing instructions to get started on ITK development in Git:

  http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Git#Publishing

Substitute values accordingly.  The ITK pushurl is

 git at itk.org/ITK.git

for the main toolkit repository.

>  (e) Update all dashboard submission clients to fetch from Git
[snip]
>  (e.1) Install CMake 2.8.2 or later.  This is needed for its Git
>  support in ctest_update().  It can work with 2.8.0 and 2.8.1 if
>  we put some helper code in the dashboard scripts but it is much
>  easier to use 2.8.2.  Fix cron jobs to run the dashboard script
>  with the newer CTest.

If you maintain a dashboard client, please upgrade your CMake now.

>  (e.2) Update the dashboard client scripts.  For VTK (and CMake)
>  we now use a "vtk_common.cmake" ("cmake_common.cmake") dashboard
>  script helper.  It contains the main dashboard client logic to
>  keep machine-specific scripts small.  This is an opportunity to
>  simplify all our scripts by creating "itk_common.cmake".
>
> Step (e) will leave the dashboard in disarray for a while, so I propose
> that even after (c) we do not publish any non-fix changes.

I'm working on the itk_common.cmake dashboard script.  Once it is
ready we can start converting dashboard clients to the new repo.
Then I'll commit one last change to CVS to make CMake report that
ITK has moved (this change will not be put in Git of course).  This
will flag all dashboard clients that still fetch from CVS.

-Brad