[Insight-developers] Need to add images for new tests to Data -- how to do that in a Gerrit topic?

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Nov 4 10:18:54 EDT 2010

I don¹t object to using one of those remote repository methods to store test
data, with these concerns:

1. The complexity of the process needs to be managed.  If it means I have
learn a new API and write an extra hundred lines of code just to pull an
image down for testing, that¹s breaking the current process.
2. There should be a way to pull down the testing data corpus as a whole.
You should be able to run CTest without an Internet connection.
3. I¹m not sure anyone wants to go back and re-write every existing
regression test.  Even if it only takes 10 minutes a test that would be
nearly 7 weeks of full time work.

Some of these concerns could be addressed with CMake --

1. Have a CMake Macro that can grab a file based on URL or whatever, and
store it in the Data directory. Maybe roll this into add_test() -- something
like add_test(<current params> REQUIRED_DATA_FILES <list of URLs or
whatever>)
2. Have a top level CMake option that defaults false ‹
FETCH_AND_CACHE_TEST_DATA